We all understand the important role physical fitness plays in maximizing our health and longevity. The word “activity” is so prevalent in our culture that’s it’s almost become a buzzword. But beyond the hype and conflicting reports of what is really healthy lays the simple truth: we have to get up everyday and make the deliberate choice to exercise.
But we don’t live in a perfect world, and from time-to-time, even our best intentions work against us. Increased activity, while providing great benefit to our bodies, also brings the risk of injury, and once sports injuries arise, they can greatly interfere with our efforts to stay physically fit. So with the goal of staying active and increasing our health, here are a few tips for preventing common sports injuries:
Injury Prevention Tips:
- Take Time Off: It may seem counterintuitive, but more is not always better when it comes to exercise. Your body needs time to recover, and if you’re exercising while your body is overly fatigued, you run greater risk of injury. Make sure to take at least 1 day off per week to give your body time to rest.
- Strengthen Muscles: Resistance training can do wonders to stabilize your joints and reduce strain on your ligaments. Make strength training a regular part of your exercise program.
- Increase Flexibility: Stretching is also vital in reducing the frequency of injury. Research exercise-specific flexibility regimes to maximize your injury-prevention efforts.
- Watch your Form: Bad form is a key culprit in sports injuries, especially when your sport involves repetitive motions like golf or tennis. Have your form analyzed by a professional and work to eliminate any bad habits you’ve developed.
- Mix it Up: Performing a variety of different exercises is also important in preventing injuries. You’ll strengthen different parts of your body and create better overall fitness in the process.
No matter how careful you are, injuries still do happen. Chiropractic care will play an important role in regaining your previous performance levels.
Even The Pros Use Chiropractors!
Most elite-level athletes seek regular corrective treatment to keep their bodies performing at their best. Every NFL team and most NBA teams employ their own chiropractors, as does the US Olympic team. Recent scientific research also shows that chiropractic care can be of great benefit in the treatment of sports injuries.
- Chiropractic Care is Best for Sport-Related Back Injuries: A study of 20 years worth of treatment data shows that chiropractic care does more to alleviate the effects of sports related injuries than acupuncture, massage, nerve stimulation, and other conservative methods of treatment.
Petering R (MD) and Webb C (DO). Treatment options for low back pain in athletes. Sports Health. Nov 2011; 3(6): 550-555.
- Chiropractic Can Improve Sports Performance: Another study looked at a group of Judo athletes who received chiropractic adjustments and measured their performance against a group receiving placebo treatment. The chiropractic group showed considerable increases in their grip strength versus the group that received placebo care. This research could prove especially important for those who play racquet and club sports.
Botelho, Marcelo and Bruno Andrade. Effect of Cervical Spine Manipulative Therapy on Judo Athletes’ Grip Strength. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2011; 35(11): 38-44
Go See Your Local Chiropractor
Staying physically fit is vitally important in living a long and healthy life. Don’t let injuries stop you from staying active. If you have an injury or are struggling to regain your previous fitness levels, make an appointment at Hannahs Chiropractic for a free initial examination. With proper chiropractic care, we can have you hitting the links or running your next 5K free from pain. Our phone number is (360) 573-0730. Call today.